Hello there! While I was out of town the past two weeks, I had an idea to write a post summarizing the events from my months in Ecuador thus far. I thought it would be fun for me to reflect on my time here and hoped you might enjoy it too! Here we go!
- I arrived in Quito, Ecuador for my 10 month adventure of living and teaching abroad.
- WorldTeach had orientation for 33 volunteers for four weeks to teach us about Ecuador and how to teach English.
- four other volunteers and I rode the teleferico up to the top of a mountain in Quito.
- my host mom, Susy, and I visited the equator and had a wonderful time!
- I moved to Riobamba.
- my host sister and I went to my first Ecuadorian soccer game.
- another volunteer and I traveled to Manta and Isla de la Plata (the beach) and saw the famous Ecuadorian birds called Blue-Footed Boobies.
- I took my first – of MANY – bus trips.
- two other volunteers and I traveled to the city, Banos, for one day.
In November . . .
- I started teaching my first English classes at my school, University of San Francisco.
- my Spanish classes with my teacher, Cesar, began.
- I spent a few hours with friends from the U.S. in Quito.
- some friends and I climbed part of the amazing volcano, Chimborazo.
- I traveled to the U.S. to spend time with family and friends for Christmas and New Year’s.
- I acted and danced in my first Spanish play – A Christmas Carol.
In January . . .
- I began teaching new English classes.
- I went to Esmeraldes (the beach) for a WorldTeach meeting.
- my students celebrated Valentine’s Day.
- I danced in my second Spanish play – Hawaiian Adventure.
- I celebrated the Ecuadorian holiday of Carnaval.
- three other volunteers and I visited Tena (the jungle) and went whitewater rafting.
- I began feeling homesick and missed family and friends in the U.S. – a lot. 😦
- the students at my school decorated AMAZING Easter Eggs.
- I had vacation time and took a cruise with my parents.
- I felt very homesick and contemplated leaving Ecuador early to return to the U.S. But then . . .
- I found out that I would be returning to Robinson (the previous school where I taught) to teach fifth grade. 🙂
- I took a last minute trip with a friend to visit Cuenca (the sierra).
- my Spanish teacher’s wife, Paty, taught me how to make bolones. (Here is a recipe!) Yum!
- I danced in 15 Latin American dances (with the other teachers) for the students at my school.
- a student, friend and I went canyoning. Check out this video. Yikes!
- my friend and I visited the Galapagos for five, incredible days.
- I visited Loja and Vilcabamba (the sierra). Read about amazing Vilcabamba here.
- I began my last teaching cycle and have 30 students – so far. Yikes!
In June . . .
- Oh yeah . . . I can’t write this one yet . . . but you can!
- What are YOUR plans for June? Reply to this post because I’d love to hear from you!
- Plus, I’ll reply to you after reading your comment. 🙂